Q: How do I know that my new tenant/tenants can afford to pay rent?

A: The Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development has developed a new standard warranty document with the purpose of securing private landlords’ interests, should the tenant breach the rental agreement. The municipalities can provide this warranty when guarantying that the tenant meets their contractual obligations.

Q: Does the property need to fulfill any special requirements?

A: The property must contain living room, kitchen, bathroom and sleeping area.

Q: Do I have to rent out the whole property, or can I rent out parts of it?

A: You can rent out what is defined as an independent unit, such as a studio or a basement apartment. Some discretion must be used. You can ask the municipality if you’re unsure of whether your unit is suitable for renting out.

Q: Where will my ad appear?

A: The ad will only appear on Refugee Home’s webpage.

Q: How long must/should the rental agreement go on for?

A: There are no requirements, but we prefer it to be for longer than a year. The longer you are willing to rent out for, the better it is for both parties.

Q: Will the tenant, Refugee Home, or the municipality sign the rental contract?

A: The tenant will sign the rental contract, with the municipality functioning as a guarantor.

Q: Do I have to regularly follow up with my tenants?

A: It is up to you whether you want to regularly follow up with your tenants or not.

Q: What do I do if my tenant wants to terminate the contract before it expires?

A: That is a civil action regulated by The Tenancy Act.

Q: What do I do if I want to terminate the contract before it expires?

A: That is a civil action regulated by The Tenancy Act.

Q: When we have decided on a tenant, will Refugee Home, the municipality, or the tenant contact us?

A: The tenant will contact you, and the municipality will then approve the tenancy.

Q: Who pays the rent?

A: Refugees receive a monthly allowance through the induction program. The allowance is meant to cover housing and living costs, and they should thus pay the rent themselves.

Q: Who pays the deposit?

A: The municipality pays the deposit.

Q: Can we contact Refugee Home if we have any questions?

A: Yes, but the municipality in question will often have the answers you need.

Q: Can I meet potential tenants?

A: That’s up to you and the potential tenant.